Monday 21 April 2014

Like White on Rice

When I first came to China, I was loving every bit of white rice I could get in my tummy. I was being served the best white rice I had ever tasted in my life. It was always so fluffy and soft and cooked to perfection. I thought I would never get enough of it, and sometimes I even got a second portion to go with my meal. Well.. Fast forward 6 months, and my attitude has changed completely. If I have to eat another bite of white rice, I might go crazy. But, then again, if I don't eat another bite of it, I might go hungry. I'm not sure how everyone eats rice multiple times a day. Every. Single. Day. Maybe this is my 'spoiled American' side speaking, but I need options. I like variety. Sometimes I find myself daydreaming about eating a Chipotle burrito or some crablegs with melted butter or some homemade macaroni-n-cheese paired with collard greens like it's Thanksgiving, but then I'm presented with a mix of Chinese vegetables, mystery meat and... you guessed it, white rice. Don't get me wrong, I think authentic Chinese food is delicious, but I cannot wait to get some good American cuisine when I return to the United States! I guess that's one of the benefits of living in the country that is known as the "melting pot," there is always an abundance of food options from different cultures around the world. 'Murica!
- FBG