Sunday 8 December 2013

Everyone Loves Field Trips

Dear Nika,

Do you like science? Do you want to go to see science museum? I think it is very interesting. Please come with us tomorrow. We have a school trip and we will go to Ningbo Science Museum. If you want to go, please come with us.
Your student,
Jojo

When I arrived at school on Tuesday morning I was surprised to find a pile of handwritten notes, similar to the one above, waiting for me on my desk. Each note was a personal invitation from my middle school students asking me to join them on their field trip to the Ningbo Science Museum the following day. I was immediately enthralled by the idea of skipping an afternoon of teaching to be a kid again. I didn't even have to think twice about my decision - Yes! Plus, everyone loves field trips, and I mean, how could I turn down an invitation like that?

Being the science geek that I am, I thought everything at the Ningbo Science Museum was so cool. I was so engrossed in the different exhibits and activities at the museum, I kept getting separated from my group. Fortunately they made sure a student came to find me each time I got lost - I guess some things never change.


- FBG