Sunday 1 December 2013

"What are you thankful for..?"


This year was my second year spending Thanksgiving away from home. For as long as I can remember, Thanksgiving has always been a time to fellowship with my friends and family while enjoying a delectable feast of mac & cheese, stuffing, cranberry sauce...well, you know. Unfortunately, this Thanksgiving was a bit different (for obvious reasons). 

Being in a foreign country with very few friends and even fewer people who understand the importance of being with loved ones on holidays like Thanksgiving, it is way too easy to develop the "woe is me" attitude and talk about how much I miss being in Virginia with my homies, eating turkey and gravy, and getting fat. Instead, I have decided to embrace the spirit of Thanksgiving and spend this time focusing on what I am thankful for. Although it would be ideal to be home sitting around the table sharing laughs with my family over a nice home cooked meal and watching football games on TV, I would be remiss to let a Thanksgiving pass without showing my appreciation for all of my blessings. Having the opportunity to live abroad in one of the most populous countries in the world and being able to experience a new culture firsthand every day are just some of the many things I am thankful for this year - not to mention the family & friends who support my endeavors, even as I am halfway across the world.

As an alternative to the traditional Thanksgiving celebration, I decided to get away from Ningbo for a few days and went on a weekend excursion to Shanghai with some other foreigners in the area. We spent the weekend exploring the city, visiting Buddhist temples, shopping, enjoying the local Chinese cuisine, and indulging in the Shanghai nightlife. Needless to say, I have so much to be thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving from China.


-FBG