Tuesday 3 March 2015

An Early Dismissal.


Nearly every day after teaching 4, sometimes 5, fifty minutes sessions of elementary social studies, I find myself feeling stressed out and frustrated. Being an educator at a school where student performance takes a backdoor to profit and revenue, and where discipline means students who fight during class are punished with a 15 minute visit to the principal’s office before returning to class to do the same thing – again, and where it is commonplace to hear a student tell a teacher “no” or “I don’t want to” with no repercussions can become quite discouraging.

When I prepare to teach a lesson, I have every intention of getting the knowledge to each student and making sure he/she understands the information that has been presented that day. Unfortunately, however, I spend more class time telling students to be quiet or to stay seated than actually teaching them anything, and for the administrators at my school that’s okay as long as the financial investors (parents) are pleased with the students’ grades and well-being. In other words, I work at an instructional day care.

After expressing my dismay about student behavior and other classroom disasters, my co-workers assured me that my expectations for respect and cooperation from the students were too high, and my best option would be to assimilate into the Arab culture where children are given free reign to do and say whatever they please.  Coming from a family where even LOOKING at my parents the wrong way warranted an immediate negative consequence, learning this information did not sit well with me.  I have certainly tried to remain positive about the situation, and I even incorporated 15 minutes of meditation into my morning routine; nonetheless, I have come to the realization that I have nothing to gain from this situation and if I stay here I will be plummeting into an abyss of negativity and ignorance.


I live by the quote “adversity causes some men to break, others to break records,” so in most tough situations I would tell myself to never give up and continue to tough it out until the end, but since receiving a Warning Letter and pay deduction after a student disrespected ME and I accidently scratched him, I know for sure this is not the type of environment I want to be in or the type of educational community I want to be a member of. I think the experience was definitely eye opening and I do not regret my decision to come here, but I will be returning to the US soon to find somewhere where I can make a difference and my voice can be heard.  
- FBG