Monday 28 April 2014

Eggs and such.

Lesson Planning for my first grade classes is becoming more and more difficult each week. Since there is no textbook, and I create my own, personal lessons for the students, I rely mostly on my own brain and creative juices. At first, this was exciting because I could literally teach whatever I wanted – no rules! Now, however, I am beginning to run out of ideas. So far I’ve taught colors, animals, modes of transportation, seasons, body parts, clothing, each passing holiday, Goldilocks and the Three Bears (a personal favorite), and the list goes on. One week I even did an entire lesson about Spongebob Squarepants.

Last Monday, as I was wrecking my brain about what to teach my students and simultaneously scrolling through Instagram. I noticed an exceptional amount of people posting Easter-related pictures: their outfits, the Sunday dinners, and some people even had dyed eggs. Then it hit me - I’ll teach my students about Easter!

Although the main reason for this holiday is the resurrection of Jesus Christ, I decided to go in a different direction that was more suitable for my audience. I sat and reminisced about my Easter celebrations growing up, thinking about going on Easter egg hunts and dying boiled eggs, and I decided to recreate this experience for my students. I had a mini-Easter egg hunt in the classroom and all the students LOVED it. Then, I got each student to design their very own Easter egg to go in the Easter basket aka on the poster board. They did a great job. Special thanks to Instagram for the inspiration!

-          FBG