Sunday 23 February 2014

Bringing my Afrocentricity to Asia

Out of all the personal interactions I've had with Asians thus far, one of my favorites occurred in Macau when I met the cute lady in this photograph (pictured right). When we first caught eyes, I noticed her talking to her husband and pointing at me. That's standard procedure for most Asians who see a black person walking past them, so I didn't think much of it. I just forced a smile in her direction and continued looking around the venue - we were at the Macau Tower at the time. As I was preparing to leave, I noticed this same woman was in the elevator with me, staring again. But to my surprise, she actually says something this time. Using her limited knowledge of English, she asks me about my head wrap and wanted to know how to tie it. I attempted to explain the steps to her, but I think the language barrier made it a little difficult to understand because next thing I know she is pulling a scarf out of her purse asking me to tie it on her head for her. Certainly.  As soon as we get off the elevator I tie her head wrap in front of a live studio audience (literally every one around us was staring in amazement). It was pretty cool to share some of my African flare with this cute little Asian woman.
- FBG

p.s. Here are some more pictures from the Macau Tower: