Sunday 3 November 2013

Trick -or- Treat

After a certain age, when it's no longer "cool" to trick-or-treat, the purpose of Halloween begins to shift. The reason for the holiday changes from a conquest to acquire the most impressive candy collection to a night of horribly executed/last-minute DIY costumes, crowds of inebriated young adults, and parties that last until the wee hours of the next morning - (reminiscing about my college years).

Well, this year my Halloween celebration was a little different. As a self-proclaimed foreign ambassador of America, it became my duty to share this part of my culture with my Chinese students, and I was able to take a small trip down memory lane in the process.

All week I taught lessons about Halloween, which included discussions about monsters, telling of scary stories, playing dress up, and of course some in-class 'trick-or-treating' sessions. As an addition to my lesson and in true Halloween spirit,  I decided to make-up my face like a cat throughout the week. If I wasn't already turning heads due to my abnormal skin complexion, all eyes were definitely on me now as I walked down the street with my face looking like cat woman. The gawking made me chuckle and didn't really bother me much, and the students really got a kick out of it.

My students really seemed to enjoy the lessons, and some even dressed up in their own costumes on Oct. 31. It was wonderful to see how excited they were to learn about Halloween! It was definitely a fun & rewarding week!
- FBG