Sunday 27 October 2013

A Taste of China

Here I am, the only person in the room who does NOT know how to use chopsticks. I’m starving, so instinctively I want to toss these chopsticks aside, grab 2 handfuls of food, and stuff my face. But in a world where my fantasies usually don’t come true, I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t be the best way to handle this situation. I’m reluctant to pick up the chopsticks and start eating because I don’t want to make a fool of myself, but they say you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take so here goes nothing…Yup! I missed! It’s as bad as I imagined it would be. So bad, in fact, that my Chinese co-workers politely ask the wait staff to bring me Western utensils (fork + spoon). The struggle was too real.

Fortunately, after a couple weeks of tussling with my chopsticks twice a day, trying to fight this cramp in my left hand every time I eat, and leaving remnants of my meal on every outfit I’ve worn so far, I think I’m starting to get the hang of this chopsticks thing! On Friday, one of my co-workers even complimented me on my progress thus far. By the end of the year I'll be a young Chopin with the chopsticks. 

Now let’s talk food

Firstly, the Chinese-people-eat-rice-at-every-meal stereotype is not a stereotype at all. It’s actually true. Who knew?! When in China do as the Chinese do, right? Let's just say I overindulge in the white rice. I'm going to have to start working out soon (I'm still not sure how they manage to stay thin, though). In addition to the rice, there’s always an array of food options to choose from: bony fish that is extremely difficult to eat, some mystery meat in a savory sauce, various vegetables usually served with egg bits or seafood, tofu a.k.a fake meat, and a soup.  

Chinese people are accustomed to placing all the dishes in the center of the table for everyone to share. As a dish you'd like to try comes around to your side of the table, you stick your chopsticks in the serving bowl and 'bon apetit!' I'm not sure how sanitary this method of dining is, but it has definitely given me the chance to taste a cornucopia of Chinese dishes since I've been here. Chinese people are really open to sharing their native foods with foreigners and want us to try everything - snacks, fruits, teas, everything! Half the time I'm not sure what I'm eating, but its usually "hit or miss" for me. I either really like the dish and cannot stop eating it or I really hate it and have to fight the urge to spit it out onto my plate - gotta take the good with the bad. 

Check out the food pics:


- FBG