Saturday 28 June 2014

'Twas the Night before...

It's Sunday night. I'm sitting on my bed in my very own one-bedroom apartment, just as I did 9 months ago when I first arrived in China. This time I sit here, not apprehensive about what I have gotten myself into, but grateful for having gained one year of teaching experience and many life memories that I will cherish forever. It is my last evening in China, and as I always do when closing a chapter of my life, I have chosen to sit back & reflect upon everything that happened this year - retrospection. 
A few weeks ago, my friend, fellow FBG, and partner-in-crime, Ashley, asked me what my takeaway was after leaving my study abroad program in South Africa a few years ago. I told her the most valuable thing I learned was the notion that "we are all Africans." She then followed that question by asking what would be my takeaway for China, and after taking a moment to think about it, I settled on "although it may be difficult, it isn't impossible."
My time in China, although filled with many fun and rewarding experiences, was very challenging for me. Tasks that were no-brainers in the US became nearly impossible. I found cultural barriers and language barriers in my way the entire year, despite my relentless attempts to assimilate. Living in China has been the epitome of 'stepping out of my comfort zone' and coping with life's changes. Many obstacles I faced throughout the year, such as being unable to express myself in the native language, coping with being away from my close friends and family, not knowing the first thing about teaching, or having to live in inadequate living conditions, could have all deterred me on this journey and caused me to quit. But I convinced myself early in the year that if I can make it through China, I can make it through anything - plus, I was taught WINNERS NEVER QUIT.
I'm proud of myself for not giving up because if I had, I would've missed the opportunity to see so many beautiful places, eat such delicious foods, witness the joy on my students' faces when I step inside the classroom, build relationships with some of my colleagues, and most importantly learn a lot about myself and how I deal with unfamiliar and uncomfortable situations. 
I once read a quote that said, "go someplace where no one knows your name and you will find yourself," and I think I have actualized that statement during my journey in China. I am not the same person I was when I left the United States 9 months ago. I have grown physically, mental, emotionally, and spiritually, and I am appreciative of everything I have gained through this experience. I'm not sure where my wings will take me next, but now it's time to close this chapter of my life. Until next time.

PEACE, China!

















- FBG

p.s. Thank you so much to everyone who supported me during this journey, and thanks for reading!!