Sunday 23 March 2014

Happy-ness.

I want to be happier. I want to enjoy life more. I want more laughs, more smiles, more fun, more love. Despite all the struggles and tribulations I've encountered so far, living in China is an experience that I will cherish for the rest of my life. I could go on complaining about all the occurrences that have not worked in my favor or have not gone as planned, while continuously telling people that I am ready to go home, but I decided to change my mindset and take a different approach. In hopes of fulfilling my self-promise to live a happy life every single day, I resolve to write in my journal each night before bed (about anything), but I must discuss AT LEAST one thing that made me happy that day. I've been doing it for about a week and a half now, and I've noticed that even the smallest things can be a bright spot in my day. So far my "happy moments" have been as small as receiving a banana offering from a student and experiencing some beautiful weather to as big as skyping my parents and  finally discovering what I want to do with my life. Each day I look forward to being happy and having something to write in my journal. It reminds me to focus on the happy moments in life rather than dwelling on the negative aspects.

Happy Teacher = Happy Students. Last week, in accordance with my vow to live happily ever after,  I decided to share my happiness with my 1st grade students by incorporating Pharrell Williams' song "Happy" into my lesson. It worked perfectly because the lesson for the week was emotions: "How do you feel?" .. "I'm happy!" When I played the song, using the Despicable Me version of the video (appeal to audience), all the student's faces lit up, and they were so excited. As Pharrell says, "Happiness is the truth." Listen to the song yourself and tell me your mood doesn't immediately change. Be happy!!!
- FBG