Sunday 5 January 2014

Three.. Two.. One..

Happy New Year! 
2014 is here, but I couldn't leave 2013 without the proper farewell. 
Between the New Year's Art Festival at my school and spending a night out around the town,
New Year's Eve proved to be an exciting day for me.

The New Year's Art Festival at school was the cutest thing I've ever seen.  The festival was basically a talent show featuring selected students from the entire school, grades 1-8. The students displayed their talents through song, dance, acting, and recitation, and I must admit I was quite impressed. Not only were the performances on point, the face make-up was so immaculate - the white face with the sparkly eye shadow, rosy blush, and red lipstick looked great, even on the young boys. Watching the students get dressed in their outstanding costumes before the show brought flashbacks of preparing for dance recitals when I was their age. Click here for a preview of some of the student's talent.

Watching my students perform on stage was so precious! It was as if my little babies were on stage and I was their proud big sister. I was so memorized by how talented these young children are, and then I snapped out of it when I remembered that it would be my turn to take the stage very soon. In accordance with the old Chinese Proverb, all Americans can sing and dance, as the token Americans at our school, my fellow FBG and I were asked to perform in the New Year's Art Festival. Now a little "fun fact" about China: When someone ASKS you to do something, he or she is really telling you that you WILL do what is being asked of you. As requested, we performed in the Art Festival sharing our own rendition of Beyonce's 'Single Ladies' (formerly known as "the greatest video of all time"). I had so much fun embracing my inner Sasha Fierce, and the crowd, filled with our students and Chinese teachers, loved our performance.


Later that evening, the New Year's celebration continued. I grabbed a few drinks and headed to Lao Waitan, which is a small area with lots of bars and clubs where many foreigners hang out. We linked up with some other foreigners in the area and enjoyed the bar atmosphere with some light conversation and dancing until it was time for the countdown. "5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1.. Happy New Year!" I can't believe I just brought in the new year in China. Wow. 2014, I'm ready for ya!


- FBG