Sunday 12 January 2014

China Overload

Sometimes living in a foreign country can be overwhelming. Constantly hearing people speak in a language that sounds like gibberish to me, seeing people who look virtually the same everywhere I go, and  having to make adjustments to my lifestyle on a daily basis can be a little annoying and lead to what I call China overload (C.O).  China overload has led me to do a few things I am ashamed of. I even caught myself saying, "I'm so tired of seeing Asian people" one day. Lord forgive me. As much as I enjoy the unique experiences I have each day, it would be nice to be able to take a break from all the "foreignness" every now and then.

Being the look-on-the-bright-side thinker I am, I have decided to use my C.O. moments as the perfect time to explore some new hobbies and think about what I like to do in my spare time. I have a few go-to activities I engage in when I want to "get away" from China for a few hours.  Usually I will dive into a good book, get lost in a movie or American TV show, listen to music, or write in my journal.  As of late, however, I have discovered a new hobby, painting.  Although I am not really an artist, I have learned that painting is enjoyable, allows me to be creative, and lets me relax and destress when China becomes overwhelming for me.  Also, it has given me a cheap way to decorate my bedroom. Yay!
 -FBG